Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tears for the Teardrop



A few years ago I was surfing the cyber sea and found a site on teardrop trailers. These were popular small trailers in the late 40's and 50's. They sleep two quite cozily and have a back hatch that opens up into a kitchenette. They are regaining some of their popularity. Instantly I fell in love.
I spent the next week or two finding-out everything I could on the little teardrops. I even saw a TV program on them (Travel Channel?) I decided I just couldn't live without one. Sound familiar? Sure I could probably buy one but where is the fun in that? I decided to take the plunge. I ordered some plans and went to organize the workshop for the next assault (project).
I finally received the plans and studied them every opportunity. I realized that I was going to need more tools (metal cut-off saw, welder, angle grinder, etc). A small steel yard was discovered near my work and I was soon heading home with enough rectangular tubing to build the frame.
Over the next several days I welded the frame and purchased axle, wheels and springs. I had decided early not to use the small utility trailer wheels and went with the same wheels and tires that were on our family assault vehicle (mini-van). The plywood framing was next. It was starting to look like something!


Insulation and aluminum skin came next. To make a long story short it was completed in about 4 months. I was able to get it registered 3 days before making the 1800 mile round-trip to Oshkosh, WI for Airventure 2004. Yes I'm an airplane fanatic as well. We had numerous compliments on her during our week there.

Well things change and I have moved on to other interests and the little trailer has sat in our garage for 4 years. Only getting out for the odd campout. Two weeks ago I decided to sell her. Even though we didn't use her much, my eyes became a little misty as her new owner pulled out of our driveway promising her new adventures. I hope he treats her nice.


No comments: