Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Thursday Night School Project.

So I had assumed the position on the couch after a long day on the job. Dinner was good and I'm thinking of some college football. No teams that I really care about but I can't be choosy on Thursday night. My son comes in and asks if I could help him with his math (so I thought). I asked him what kind of math and he says, "Not math, MASK". He reminded me that he had a project due at school the following day. Mask? Oh, I remember now, World War 1 gas mask. They are studying WWI, you've heard about that, it was in all the text books. He also told me that it had to be made out of things found around the house. Yeah, right.

Following a hefty sigh, I slowly moved off the couch and the two of us headed down stairs to look for bits and pieces to make a gas mask. The junk er… project room should have what we need. We started looking through the boxes of stuff and began picking out the possible items. After a few minutes of looking we had found a pair of safety goggles, plastic bowl, canteen, camouflage duct tape, hot melt glue gun, and a flexible hose that makes sound when you twirl it over your head.


As projects go, this came together pretty quickly. About a half an hour later we emerged from the basement with a genuine WW1 Gas mask. It’s surprising what you can come up with sometimes.

Now back to the game!








No comments: